Wednesday, February 2, 2011

Speech

Speech therapy is going well for Reagan, and she's making gains by leaps and bounds.  Brain synapses are firing right and left. Gobbledy gook is disappearing as the language of choice.   She is reporting incidents from the past (told Rob about the dog-dog going night-night last night).   This morning, during a diaper change, she told me "Oh NO!  I'm gonna fall!"  And she was.  Her head was hanging off the edge of the couch.  She's starting to identify some letters (mostly "O" and "I"), and can even DRAW an "O".   At speech today, she was refusing to put Mr. Potato-Head glasses on, and I said "Oh, do you have issues with the glasses?"  And she looked back at me and said "ISSUES".  Great.  THAT'S a word we want her to know.  The speech therapist assured me that it was a "phantom" word, and that, with any luck, we wouldn't hear it again until she turned 14.  Also during speech today, Reagan looked at a crayon, and said "black".  I had no idea that she knew her colors.  Don't know if that's entirely consistent, but she was certainly right about black!  She then repeated the others for me... blue, red, green.  HMMM.  And yet, when we got home, and she asked for "Gock gock" for lunch - which is Gobbledy Gook for "milk".  She REFUSED, adamantly, to say even "mmmmm" to start the world "milk".  She says "mom" about 60 times a minute, so I KNOW she knows the "mmmmm" sound.  Stubborn girl.  She had lunch without a drink, because she refused to say "mmmm".  I can be just as stubborn as she is.  Where do you think you GOT that trait, little thing?????

No comments: