Thursday, May 18, 2017

Luck, and the lack thereof....

Reagan had a Finnish Folkdance performance at a local nursing home the other day.  The same day, I might add, that I worked, three children had school, the boys had a track meet, and I had a dinner to go to later in the evening.  That's multiple events for the mama to plan for before leaving the house at 7:35 am:   getting myself and three kids ready and dressed and fed and teeth-brushed, and finding track shoes and track uniforms, and homework and backpacks, and dance uniforms, and white tights, and a white shirt and two black shoes.  I DID end up with two black shoes. I really did.  Which was a remarkable feat in and of itself, considering the state of Reagan's room that morning.  But when we got to the nursing home, we discovered that those two black shoes were both for Reagan's RIGHT foot.  Poor, unshod left foot, with no shoe.  Shame on you, greedy right foot, with more shoes than you needed. 

This predicament was DEVESTATING to the little girl.  She burst into tears.

Reagan:  "I can't dance with two right shoes!"
Mom: "Just wear a right shoe on your left foot."
Reagan: "That will be too uncomfortable!  I can't do that!"
Mom: "Then wear your stocking feet.  You'll glide better that way anyway."
Reagan: "I will slip and fall and hurt myself!  I can't wear just my socks!!!"
Mom: ((sigh))  "I don't know what you want me to do.  I can't make another shoe suddenly appear in the next 10 minutes."
Reagan: "Can you run to the store and buy a new pair??"
Mom: "NO.  I can not."
Reagan:[{ Wail.  Whine.  Whimper.  Pout.}]
Reagan: "This is ALL BECAUSE I DON'T HAVE A FOUR LEAF CLOVER!!"
Mom: "What??"
Reagan: "My friend Payton has a four leaf clover, and this has NEVER happened to HER!!"

Well, who could argue with that logic?? 

Darned four leaf clover. 

She wore her pink tennis shoes with her dance costume, and you know what??  No one even noticed or cared.  So there.

No comments: