Saturday, February 16, 2019

Going For A Walk



This winter is getting to me.  The cold.  The storms.  The clouds.  The trapped inside a messy house with children that have had too many snow days.  Funks are inevitable.  So, when there was actual SUN on a free Saturday, I told Reagan that we needed to soak up as much vitamin D as we could.  Little girls and sun were the only cures for a deep mid-winter funk.   If we walked the trails, the sun would be obscured by trees and shadows.  We needed WIDE OPEN spaces.  And we just happen to live near a frozen lake.  Perfect!

The plan was to walk from the local park to my in-laws place on the lake, a distance of about a 1/4 mile.  There were plenty of snowmobilers and ice fishermen on the lake - we were hardly the only people with the same idea.  Reagan and I parked at Chassell park, and  started following a snowmobile trail towards Al and LaVerne's house.  The little girl weighs the same as my left arm - she floated on top of the snow like it was nothing.  At first, I did, too.  Enough to get about half the way there.  But then, once we got off the snowmobile trail, I began sinking.  ALOT.  The snow on top of the lake was at least 3 feet deep, and with every step I was sinking up to my waist.  And there was SLUSH under all that snow!  I was wearing snow boots, but only jeans with holes in them.  Each step got my boots stuck in water, and it would take several minutes to extricate myself.   I would take one more step, just to sink down again.  Good grief.  This was getting ugly quick.

Reagan ran ahead, barely leaving a foot print in the snow with her big feet and 48 pound stick-body.  I got on my knees to spread my weight, and crawled that way for a full 1/8th of a mile, soppy wet.  It took my 45 minutes.

I wanted sun and exercise and time with my daughter, and I definitely got all three things!  May have taken me another hour to warm up and dry out by the fire, but it was worth it.  I learned a valuable lesson about the value of snow shoes!

 

No comments: