Wednesday, February 19, 2020

Her Rosa Parks Moment

It's not easy being the little sister to two big brothers.  Reagan holds her own, and does her fair share to bring on the grief she is given.  Don't get me wrong.  But the two of them together do gang up on her ALOT.  Boys against girl.  Older against younger.  Twins against singleton.  It's just a natural divide in our house.  That's the background.

Reagan has been begging for YEARS to be able to sit in the front seat.  I generally have not let her do this, because it's not as safe as being in the back seat.  But that doesn't stop her from begging.  Well, she's 11 now, and decent sized.  The boys were allowed to sit in the front seat at 11 years old.  And in the morning, when we're getting ready for school, and Reagan is completely ready with snow-clothes on and backpack in tow, and the boys haven't even gotten out of bed yet, despite having been woken up at the same time by their mother... it just seems fair to let her grab that coveted front seat for the ride to school.  After all, SHE is ready.  SHE got up when she was supposed to, focused on what she needed for the day, and then got herself into the car.

She had tried to sit in the front seat on the way to school several times over the past couple weeks.  When the boys finally get out to the car, they raise a ruckus, grab her out, and throw her in the back.  "where she belongs".  Then I get a long diatribe about how they are older, and DESERVE to sit up front.   I have laid into them about how harsh they are, and how angry they get about this situation.  It's not ok.  But usually, she moves to the back when I say "Reagan, I'm not up for a fight on the way to school.  Do you mind getting in the back please?"  Or, I make the boys ask her politely.  Quinn will do it.  Colby won't.  He's mortified at the indignity of a younger girl sitting in the front, while he's relegated to the back seat, when HE SHOULD BE IN DRIVER'S ED ALREADY.

Yesterday,  I decided not to intervene.  Reagan again was ready a good 10 minutes before her brothers, as was I.  As we both sat in the car, I told her that I knew a fight would ensue, but I wasn't going to say anything.  Let the chips fall where they may.  And if all of us were late for school and work, so be it.  

Quinn was out first.  He opened the door, saw his sister in "his" seat, and began the barrage.  First, he tried to ask her politely.  She stared straight ahead, and would not respond.  Then he began haranguing her.  Then he began haranguing me.  What a horrible mom, who didn't care about the safety of her own child!  Reagan will die!  It's against the law! (Side note:  it's not.  I googled it right then and there).  Colby soon came out and joined in.  Reagan sat calmly, saying nothing, not making eye contact with either.  But she would.  not.  move.

I told all three children that they needed to work this out amongst themselves, but school started in 10 minutes, and if they were late, so be it.  The boys raged.  Reagan sat.  It continued, until... at 7:55 am, Quinn gave in.  With much harrumphing and slamming of doors, and much screaming from Colby (I almost had them walk to school.  It was ridiculous and inappropriate).  We drove the rest of the way to school in silence.  Reagan... had won. 

 Her mother may have mentioned something to the back seat about sisters not being second class citizens, and the front seat being a privelege and not an entitlement.  But I thought it best not to rub it in too much.  After the boys were dropped off, though, I turned to my daughter and said "You did it.  You stood up to them.  This was your Rosa Parks moment!  Despite the beating they gave you!"

She just smiled and said "They may have beat on me, but that cold seat back there would've beat on my butt!"  And suddenly, I realized why there is such a fuss every day about who gets to sit in the front seat in the middle of February.... the front have heated seats. The back to do not.  A warm tushie is worth any amount of verbal abuse :).

HAHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHA

No comments: