Sunday, March 3, 2013

Marathon

My daughter, bless her ever-lovin' heart, is a wimp.  She fatigues EASILY.  The most common phrase out of her mouth is "I can't.  I'm TIIIIIRED."  This, I am well aware, is partly a cop-out, and partly because she really does have low muscle tone.  The limp rag-doll act is really on partially an act.  There's a good dose of drama queen in there, but... there is definitive hypotonia as well.  As a physical therapist - this is one thing I know.  So that's the background.
 
Today, Mom was in a funk.  Just in a "poor lonesome me" funk, and that's never any good for anyone, so I decided what I really needed was some time to myself to take a vigorous walk out in the sun.   Some fresh air and exercise would get those endorphins flowing again, so I suited up and got ready to go.

Reagan: "Mom, where are you going?"
Mom: "For a walk."
Reagan: "I want to go for a walk, too!!"
Mom: "No, sweetie.  This walk is for me only.  I'm going to walk far, and I'm going to walk fast, and you won't be able to keep up."
Reagan: "Yes, I will!  I can keep up!"
Mom: "Reagan, you have never in your life walked more than a block without asking to be carried.  I will not carry you, and I will not slow down.  You need to stay here."

But she was adamant, and looked up at me with those big eyes, and.... ok.  I gave her a shot. 

Mom: "If you get tired, you will sit on the side of the road until I come back to pick you up. "
Reagan: "I won't get tired Mom!  I promise!"

So, off we went, hand in hand.  After a block, at the normal location of the beginning of the whine-phase, Reagan said "My arm is a little tired, but my feet aren't Mom.  It's okay!"  We both slipped on the ice at one point and fell all the way to the ground, landing in the mud.  "I'm okay!  We're both okay!  Let's not walk on ice!"  At one point, I  almost slipped on the ice again, but because she was holding my hand, I was able to catch my balance.  "I saved your LIFE, Mom!"  Yes, yes you did.

That little girl walked a MILE, at my brisk walking pace, taking two steps for every one of my strides, and did not complain ONCE.  Her determination at keeping up with me, her very forced optimism about the icy road conditions, lifted my mood as much or more than the exercise did.  Once we were finally home again, she did admit that her legs were TIIIIIIRED, but it was a whine-free and fully appropriate declaration.  Would I have walked farther and longer if she hadn't been with me?  Definitely yes.  But that little girl can put a smile on my face better than anything, and SHE was exactly what I needed today.

Thanks, Little Miss!  Sure do love you.

No comments: