The world is a scary place right now, and Rob and I were talking about it in the front seat while driving to tonight's soccer game. The kids never listen when I ask them to put their shoes away, but when we'd LIKE to have a private conversation, they're all ears. At some point, I said to Rob "maybe we shouldn't talk about this stuff in front of the kids." The boys just said "Too late. We heard it all!" Great.
Well, tonight, Reagan was stalling BIG TIME going to bed. Like... big time. Frustrated, I asked her why she just wouldn't lie down.
"I'm scared." Oh, great. See? We should not be talking about world affairs in front of the children. Heck, things give ME nightmares about now. I put my arm around her and tried to comfort her.
"Honey, there's nothing to be scared of. Mommy and Daddy are right here, and you have a guardian angel to protect you always. What are you scared of?"
"It's hard to say," she replied. "It's not about aliens or monsters or any of that." Great. We've given our daughter vague anxiety. She's thinking about World War III and beheadings. I just know it. And it's all our fault.
"It's about Santa's elves. I think they're in my room."
UHHHHHH. Huh. OK. Well, I guess I can relieve myself of that guilt.
"Well, yes, they are. He sent them in there to see if you're being good and going to bed. He's making his list right about now, you know."
"OHHHHHHHHH!" she says. Like it's all okay now.
Luckily, the caliphate is not spreading to a five year old's psyche just yet. Thank goodness for that!!
No comments:
Post a Comment