We went for a family canoe ride yesterday - Colby, Reagan and I in one large aluminum canoe, and Quinn and Dad in another. Our canoe was not nearly as maneuverable as the other, and drafted quite a bit lower. It was far less stable than the other one as well, which made it wobblier. This meant that we drug bottom ALOT more than Quinn and Rob, and almost flipped a couple of times.. Which had Reagan super anxious. And verbal.
Reagan: "What is this? I thought this was supposed to be a relaxing trip? How can I relax when I'm about to die???"
Mom: "Reagan, you are not about to die. We are in six inches of water. That's why we're dragging bottom. How will you die in six inches of water?"
Reagan: "This canoe will flip over on top of me, and I will suffocate and drown."
Mom: "There is an air pocket under a canoe when it flips over. You will not drown. Plus Colby and I are here to help you. We're ok! Look at the beautiful surroundings! Just relax and enjoy the float!"
Reagan: "I cannot relax if I'm about to die. Look at Quinn relaxing up there. Because Dad is doing all the paddling, and he just gets to relax. NICE."
Colby: "Shut up."
Mom: "Colby, that is not helpful. Reagan, what I always do when I'm in a challenging situation is think of the worst case scenario. And then I can deal with the worst case scenario, and know it's not so bad! We're in a shallow river with a slow current. You tell me... what is the worst thing that could happen in this situation?"
Reagan: "I could die." (Heavy sigh from Mom).
Colby: "These are my two life mottoes. Remember these things, Reagan. Number 1: Dad is always wrong. He said the river would get deeper and the float easier as we go along, and it hasn't. Number 2: Always have low expectations, and then you're never disappointed."
Mom: "Very inspiring, Colby. Thanks for that."
Reagan: "I hate EVERY SECOND OF THIS!"
UGH. I thought it was a lovely float! And I thought that we worked super well as a team when we did get stuck! I was proud of us!
No comments:
Post a Comment