Wednesday, September 2, 2020

And The Winner IS.....

Reagan is not too excited to join band. Her mama is insisting that she give it at least a few years, as I have been woefully inept at Reagan's musical education. She took two years of piano lessons, during which time I realized that she could not even read music, and that was it.  She sings to the radio, and will also be joining choir now that she's in middle school, but I think it's important that she also gets experience in band, to learn some basics about music theory.  

Usually, Mrs. Fontaine has an event where incoming 6th graders get to try out various instruments and decide what they want to play.  Due to covid, that event didn't happen this year, BUT... I have known Mrs. Fontaine for the past 15 years (when we were both new moms with infant twin boys), and so I just called the lady up.  Can Reagan come talk to her and decide what she wants to play?  Mrs. Fontaine was willing, because she's awesome like that.

Reagan tried very nearly everything there was to try.  She originally said she definitely didn't want the flute, because "EVERYONE" plays the flute, and she didn't want something big, that wouldn't fit in her locker.  OK then.  







It was fun seeing her try all these instruments.  She could make sounds on all of them, but the one that seemed to come the easiest?  The one Mrs. Fontaine immediately recommended upon seeing the structure of Reagan's mouth? The baritone.  YES.  Essentially a tuba.  Who knew.  And it was the one Reagan was most excited about.  Only 3 valves, so not overwhelming in the finger department, and she could get a really cool sound out of it without much effort.  

Baritone it is.  We're ready for band to start!











No comments: