The doctor wants Reagan in speech therapy, the speech therapist wants Reagan in speech therapy, and mom and dad... despite my profession as a pediatric therapist.....want to hold off. I know. I know. We're terrible parents. I keep thinking that she'll catch up on her own, in our "language rich" environment :). We're such talkers over here, you know. Why, just last night at dinner, Reagan finished her food, looked at me, and said "dow". As in, "Mom, please get me down off this stool". I helped her down off the stool, and she said, perfectly clear, with perfect diction, witnessed by all other members of the family...
"Thank You, Mommy". Rob and I about fell of our own stools.
Every once in awhile, she'll pop off with a perfectly clear phrase. And it makes us do a double take, because usually, she speaks gobbledy-gook with a few words mixed in. Lately she's been saying (I SWEAR this is what she's saying) "Sit DOWN, Mommy". Or, if I sneeze, she'll say "Bless You".
She's got several signs now... please, milk, dog, turtle, more (inconsistent), fish. And she appears to be learning new words every day. It's coming. She understands EVERYTHING, and will listen to me, then jabber back, as if we're having a perfectly understandable conversation. It's just not in English.
Sometimes I think that little girl is toying with us, and one day in the not too distant future, she'll just start speaking full, clear sentences, as if she was perfectly capable this whole time, and was just choosing NOT to speak English.
No comments:
Post a Comment