Saturday, December 20, 2008

A Date With Mommy and Daddy

With her brothers safely tucked away at grandma and grandpa's house, Reagan journeyed to the "big city" two hours away with Mom and Dad yesterday. This was the first time the three of us were alone, save a quick trip to Walmart while Quinn and Colby were in Sunday school last week. It was such a calm, quiet time! Reagan was so alert - I've never seen her awake that long. She snacked continually on a bottle, but was wide awake, looking around, taking in her new environment, and smiling at strangers (she has yet to smile at ME!). For close to three hours. It's amazing how she comes out of her shell when there aren't two rambunctious little boys trying to "pet" her constantly. The evening was the same, as soon as we got home and her brothers were in bed. Wide awake, kicking, looking around, flailing arms. 7:00. 8:00. 9:00. 10:00. OK, little girl. It's been fun, but aren't you getting sleepy? 11:00. 11:30..... snacking the entire time on a bottle, and definitely NOT wanting to go to bed. In NO UNCERTAIN TERMS. It took all my creativity, but I finally got her to sleep - swaddled in a blanket, lying in a boppy, being fed the bottle while IN her crib (so as not to wake her when she fell asleep eating). I was anticipating a good night's sleep, after so much wakefulness, and I wasn't disappointed. She slept almost 6 hours. Not record time, but certainly better than it's been. It may take some doing, but I am determined to that both of us are going to sleep through the night sometime in the not too distant future. Maternity leave is almost over!

No comments: