Friday, June 24, 2011

Potty Training

I wanted to capitilize on the recent "potty experience" that Reagan had this week at church, so I left her diaperless for most of the day.  Except, because I'm a scatter-brain, I FORGOT that I left her diaperless, and when she began yelling "OH NO! PEE!" in the kitchen in front of the refrigerator, I thought she had spilled some lemonade. 

"That's not pee, honey.  That's JUICE."  She agreed with me.  "Oh.  Juice." And then I noticed her sopping wet pants.  OH YEAH.  No diaper.  So we rushed to the potty, to see if there were any trickles left.  There was.  Kind of.  Maybe a molecule or so, but I thought I should reward it, to establish a precedent.  So I took her back to the kitchen, and gave her two M&M's, and said "Reagan, you got candy, because you put pee in the potty!!!"

Reagan was estatic, and I distinctly thought to myself that potty training her was going to be EASY  compared to the nightmare that was potty training her brothers.  She rushed back to the bathroom -- I assumed to go pee some more so she could get more candy.   I followed - just in time to see her plunk her two M&M's into the toilet.  Uh Oh.  Language barrier. 

There were tantrums throughout the day afterwards, because Reagan didn't understand why I would randomly give her candy ONCE and not REPEATEDLY.  And one more "accident", but only on the kitchen floor, where it was easy to clean up.  Good girl.  I have hope that this will happen in a not-so-painful way.  She's a smart girl.  I just need to be really clear with my English!

No comments: