Saturday, September 27, 2008
De Ja Vu....
Spent Friday ALLL DAY at Portage Hospital Resort and Spa, lounging in an oh-so-comfortable hospital bed, receiving acupuncture (also called "IV pokes" and "shots") to relieve the stress of pregnancy, (also known as "pre-term labor"). Talk about the ultimate in relaxation. Even a tube attached to me so that I didn't have to get up to use the restroom. THAT'S pampering. Caught up on 6 months worth of People Magazine, so now can recite who is dating who, who has the cutest baby, and which are the best and worst dressed stars of summer. These are things that I just don't get to spend time finding out when working and raising small children. The contractions stopped after the third "line of defense", for which I am grateful, as the fourth line of defense was a trip to a hopsital with a NICU 2 hours away. NOT in my agenda at the moment. I am now officially to "take it easy" for the remainder of the pregnancy, although not on official bed rest - a fact for which I am also truly thankful. The doctor was explicit that this means NO housework (I should've gotten that in writing), and cutting my work hours by half (that part IS in writing). It also means no more volunteering in the pre-school classroom. Unfortunately, I signed up for LOTS of volunteer time in October, because I knew once the baby was born my time would be limited. Anyone want to fill-in on the bus? I'm on a new cardiac med to keep contractions at bay, and so far today (apart from a stint of 3- minute spaced contractions last night from 2-4 am) all is well. The doctor said we HAVE to make it at least another 4 weeks, to avoid a NICU stay, and my mom said that we HAVE to make it another 7 weeks so that she doesn't miss the birth of yet another grandchild. Such pressure to stay in the womb! The baby, by all accounts, is doing very well -- except for frequent hiccups, which caused last night's contractions. If only I could slip her a paper bag to blow into, maybe we could keep things calm!
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment